gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 15, 2017, 03:08:35 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by S.King  (Read 912 times)
Geoff_N
Critter

« on: June 26, 2012, 01:48:41 PM »

This isn't a proper full review - no time - but I picked this book up at a guest house in Ironbridge, UK while stopping one night en route home on a cycling trip. (I could see the historic Iron Bridge from my bedroom - wow - the first bridge made of iron in the world and I'd cycled over it - not supposed to but you know me...)

I didn't want to start reading a book only to have to add its mass to my panniers for my 65 hilly miles home today but The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon was a fast page turner and I finished it in one evening - to early hours. Just up my street - an 'ordinary' person - this time an 11-year-old girl but wiser than her years - is lost in a New England forest. She was walking with her divorced mum and brother but they didn't hear her calling out she's going for a pee. She gets lost. She could just stay still for the eventual search party but she has some woodcraft skills and ... made things worse. Too young to carry ciggy-lighting equipment she copes with several overnight survivals. Where Stephen King comes in is with a baseball player called Tom Gordon. The girl fancies him and imagines (we suppose) he is a kind of guardian angel when the dark, and the rain, the hunger, the mozzy bites, the falls, and noises of the night get to her. It's very well crafted - as we'd expect. I admit to skimming over all the baseball playing bits, and the backstories - just wasn't needed IMO although others might have found it enriched their reading experience.

Anyone else here read it?

Must download stories from the Whittaker to judge now I'm rested after my revolving legs made my bike go over 300 miles this week.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx