gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 11:35:33 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Film - Seeking a friend...  (Read 1350 times)
Geoff_N
Critter

« on: July 18, 2012, 01:52:10 PM »

I’m a sucker for apocalyptic stories and so went to Chester’s only cinema (soon to be closed) to watch Seeking a Friend for the End of the World. Premise has an asteroid on course for Earth but this time there’s Bruce Willis to save us. 3 weeks notice and not as much chaos as I’d expect – in fact the film dragged dreadfully in spite of the delightful acting efforts of Keira Knightley and Steve Carell. Long before half way I was urging the asteroid to accelerate and you know what? It did or the astronomers got it wrong and brought impact day forwards a week. Sorry, but this time I was glad the asteroid hit Earth. Well deserved wipe out. It was directed and written by Lorene Scafaria. To be fair it’s intended as a comical romance. A much better science fiction book along the lines of an inevitable end of world scenario is Sam Smith’s The End of Science Fiction published by BeWrite Books, in which a detective hunts down a murderer who thinks he’s escaped just because of the oncoming doom.

delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 04:09:34 PM »

Didn't Bruce save the world in the awful Armageddon? He was an oil driller, IIRC, who had to be flown up to an asteroid on the space shuttle and use his skills to drill down way deep and plant an explosive... I recall watching this wondering how the hell they were going to find a way to land the space shuttle on an asteroid. As it happened they did it no problem. They didn't actually show it... I guess there was a runway up there.

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 05:22:19 PM »

They had retro rockets to help land but even then one of them crash landed. I quite like Armageddon in spite of the plot holes, character defects and lack of realism. bleh

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx