gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 16, 2017, 12:05:05 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CafeDoom 2012 competition  (Read 5759 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« on: August 04, 2012, 06:45:36 AM »

As many of you know, I'm currently snowed under with work, and it looks set to continue well into the autumn. In previous years I have often found it difficult to run the annual competition alongside work committments, which results in me not doing as good a job of it as I would like. It has also been quite difficult to find a sponsor each year, which can be nerve-racking. This year I know I'm not going to cope with any of it, so if the comp is going to go ahead this year somebody is going to have to take over the running of it.

I also wonder whether it might be a good idea to change the format somehow. Personally, I like the format, and I think it makes everybody feel more involved than they would with somebody behind the scenes judging the winner from the entire field. But maybe somebody else has a better idea.

So there it is -- the competition is in your hands this year. I will as always put up a chunk of prize money, but I'm not going to be able to run the thing, sadly. I would rather admit defeat than do a crap job and let people down.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
starktheground
Critter

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 11:30:43 PM »

Totally understandable, Ed. When is the contest again? I *might* have an idea. . .

Oh, and I love the format as it stands. I wouldn't recommend changing it, personally.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 07:28:36 AM »

We generally open it around six to eight weeks before 30th October and then have Halloween as the day the stories are posted, so it's creeping up already. But then I suppose we don't have to have it on the same date every year. What's your idea? smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
elay2433
Critter

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 06:47:03 PM »

When I participated in the contest it took quite a bit of spare (and sparse) time simply reading, re-reading and judging all the entries. I can only imagine the time and energy that goes into putting it all together and pulling it all off. Cheers to anyone who has got it in them. It's a good contest and it seems to attract a lot of talent.

If all else fails, perhaps it can become the Cafe Doom biennial contest.  smiley

Jerry Enni lives in a small house in the center of the San Joaquin Valley with his beautiful family. By day he makes signs and by night he writes stories. To learn more about him, check out Clear Perspective, Blurry Lens
notsoscarey
Grave Digger

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 01:30:27 PM »

I imagine it was a huge workload to organize and keep everyone on task then compile everything...I don't know how you did it, honestly.  Maybe biennial would be good...announce it for next year and give participants a deadline far enough in advance to be manageable for you or the person that takes over?
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 04:16:12 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. The workload isn't too bad, TBH, it's just time dependent. All the stories have to be opened and scanned through by eye to make sure they are readable, and you wouldn't believe how many people send a weird format that I can't open, or format their entry in weird ways that make them completely illegible. Then you have to list them, together with forum name and pen name, email address, etc. Post them all on the opening day of the contest, then note down the scores, tot them all up and send the top ten to the judge. Some years I have been able to read and provide a brief crit on all the entries, but that really does take a long time. Generally speaking, though, it isn't too bad if you've got a moderate amount of time to play with. I just know that with all the organising work I have to do at my day job that I won't cope with it all and then I'll end up doing it all badly, so it's best to pass it along to somebody who can do it justice.

Thankfully, somebody has stepped up and offered help, so it looks like the comp will go ahead. afro

notsoscarey
Grave Digger

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 09:14:24 PM »

That's great to hear!  I've told a few friends about it and expect them to enter.  (or else!)  Time to start getting ideas scratch.....
Craig Herbertson
Stiff

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 04:13:30 AM »

It's always fun but but I can barely imagine the work it takes to get it going

Robert Essig
Coffin Maker

HELL AWAITS!

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 10:38:31 AM »

Good to see that the competition is a go.

Robert's blog

Look for my debut novel THROUGH THE IN BETWEEN, HELL AWAITS in 2012 from Grand Mal Press.
Pharosian
Obelizer
Critter

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 05:06:12 PM »

Thankfully, somebody has stepped up and offered help, so it looks like the comp will go ahead. afro

Could the person who offered to help run the contest please give us an update? We're obviously not going to have anything going for Halloween, but that date wasn't cast in concrete. Are we looking at a mid-winter contest? spring? I know there are a lot of people who love this contest and I'm wondering where it stands.

Thanks!   smiley
delboy
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 04:59:06 AM »

I'm keen to know, too. I have a story that might be suitable (depending on the word count length this year), but if the comp isn't happening I'll run it by the crit group instead and then maybe even sub it somewhere.

Cheers,
Derek

"If you want to write, write it. That's the first rule. And send it in, and send it in to someone who can publish it or get it published. Don't send it to me. Don't show it to your spouse, or your significant other, or your parents, or somebody. They're not going to publish it."

Robert B. Parker
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 06:03:13 PM »

Sorry, I'm so flat out that I just haven't engaged with this. I left the house this morning at six and didn't get home until seven tonight, gulped down something to eat and then hit the paperwork, from which I've just surfaced at 11pm. That has been happening a lot lately. Hence I can't give this my full attention.

What I can tell you is that we are going to do something. It will be a smaller pot this time around, but still worth $100 split between 1, 2 and 3. Word count around the three and a half to four thousand mark. Haven't managed to find a publishing partner/mag this time. Angela (Starktheground) has offered to help, and we have been discussing various bits and pieces, but haven't finalised any arrangements yet. Stay tuned for more details.

starktheground
Critter

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 08:42:24 PM »

Yep, What Ed said.  afro
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx