gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55948 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 September 29, 2020, 05:17:44 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  General Discussions  |  Soap Box  |  Book signing - gulp!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Book signing - gulp!!  (Read 13416 times)

Offline Geoff_N

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • my webbie
Re: Book signing - gulp!!
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2005, 10:23:35 AM »
How far south, Joyce. I have friends in Australia ;)

I have family in Gloucestershire & cycle there 2/3 times a year. But I doubt if a book shop there will consider me a "local author".  Never know though. If Escaping Reality takes off, my publisher might take me on a tour. Hey, is that a "pub" crawl I see before me?  :bleh:

Even more gulp gulp. My agent has kindly arranged for me to do a reading tomorrow night. So I'm standing reading an excerpt to the hoity toity literary posh society of Cheshire. Advice please. How much whisky is needed to calm nerves but so much to make an even bigger arse of myself?

G
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 10:24:31 AM by Geoff_N »

Offline SharonBell

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • Sharon's Home Page
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2005, 12:16:12 PM »
Double shots, no ice. Congrats and break a leg!  :cheers:
"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

Offline JoyceCarter

• Coroner
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2005, 02:23:22 PM »
Australia?  Not THAT far south - within the UK, I was thinking, so maybe Blunt and I could come and cheer!  (And share in the pub crawl.  :D)  Somerset?  Dorset?  Hampshire?

NO WHISKY AT ALL.  Take a performer's tip and know that the nerves GO when you get launched.  If anyone intimidates you, remember they have to go to the lavatory too, and imagine them in their underwear.  Try to have a look at the room where you'll read beforehand (in your imagination if it can't be done in real life) and take possession of it, for YOU.  Think of a dear, slightly deaf, person, sitting at the farthest point, take good, deep breaths, and think your words to THEM.

All the very best, and let us know how it goes.  :cheers:

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2005, 04:59:19 PM »
Oh, good stuff :afro:  I had a lecturer who swore by Beta Blockers, to get anybody and everybody through anything even slightly traumatic - exams, for instance.  He spent a lot of time off sick with his nerves. :grin:  So I concluded that whisky was probably better. 

Between us students, we came to the conclusion that the quantity doesn't really matter, where stress is concerned.  If you don't drink enough, you'll get along just fine, with a warm glow in your stomach.  If you drink too much, you really won't care either way.  :afro:  (until much later)
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline Geoff_N

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • my webbie
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2005, 03:16:53 AM »
Thanks guys.

My dad takes beta blockers. Maybe I won't take them but I'll hand them round to the audience  :cheesy:

Geoff

Offline JoyceCarter

• Coroner
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2005, 03:41:44 AM »
Ear-blockers for the audience?  :bleh:

Offline PaulC44446

• Coffin Maker
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2005, 03:40:56 PM »
I would check it out but like others here... it's the wrong side of the planet for me and gas costs too much for me to drive that far... providing I could find a bridge long enough. Shame, I like book signings. Oh well, let us know how it goes.

PaulC44446

Offline Geoff_N

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • my webbie
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2005, 06:49:47 PM »
An art galley organiser has invited me to do a signing at one of her shows at Seattle's Barnes & Noble. (are you listening Rob Rocket Man Blevins? I know Seattlers other than you hehe). My wife says yes, as soon as my book sales net in enough air fare. Ummm. So, you never know you over-the-ponders!

Geoff

Offline Geoff_N

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • my webbie
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2005, 11:42:31 AM »
I let the advert people in the Newspaper help out. Ha ha ha ha aaaarrghh

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/thelist/details.asp?id=22461&start=2005-09-24&end=2005-09-24

Not sure how hottest is defined  - I'll have to sprinkle chilli powder on the pages.

Geoff

Offline SharonBell

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • Sharon's Home Page
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2005, 11:59:13 AM »
Scotch bonnets are good!  :evil:

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

Offline Walker

• Coroner
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2005, 12:51:09 PM »
That's very cool! 
I'd be printing that off and hanging it on the wall, Geoff.
Good for you man, well deserved.

:dance:
"Lord, here comes the flood, we will say goodbye to flesh and blood. If, again, the seas are silent in any still alive, it'll be those who gave their island to survive. Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry."
Peter Gabriel.

Offline canadian

• Coroner
  • amphibian
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2005, 10:52:57 PM »
"Hottest thriller of the year!"

Gee. That Les Floyd is SOME headline writer, huh?

tee hee ...

Geoff, can't wait to give you that long-awaited hug on Oct. 15. Hope you're bulkin' up!  ::)
If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin

Offline Geoff_N

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • my webbie
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2005, 07:22:52 AM »
I'm going to the gym, Donna. Of course it is mainly to watch...

Les was a tad disappointed that his blog readers (bleeders) didn't turn up at the signing, but I had a blast chatting to not only Les and his Swedish girlfriend, but many book lovers. I signed around 20 books; some were pre-ordered and some for shop stock. The experience is a bit like doing a live performance. One really big bloke (he had to breathe OUT to sufficiently deflate his lungs so as to squeeze in the door) got quite excited over the book.
"So a lot of it is local?"
"That's right."
"Crime?"
"Crime, humour and a thriller."
"Are there names of criminals in it?"
"The criminal characters have names, yes. Why?"
"I might be in it, then."
"Really, what's your name? Mr  err?"
"Steven  blah blah."
"No, I haven't a character called Steven in this book. I have in a science fiction I've written..."
"Oh, it's not true life crime then."
"Ah, you want the non-fiction section downstairs, sorry Steven."

I'm still wondering what his crime was. Maybe blocking out the light in Northern Cumbria. I tried to interest him again on his way back, and he did take a free bookmark. :)

Geoff

Offline Walker

• Coroner
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2005, 08:59:53 AM »

I'd be printing that off and hanging it on the wall, Geoff.

I printed this out and hung it on the wall, Geoff, but my wife keeps asking why I changed my pen-name. Got any good excuses I could throw her way. She seems confused. 
 :P
"Lord, here comes the flood, we will say goodbye to flesh and blood. If, again, the seas are silent in any still alive, it'll be those who gave their island to survive. Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry."
Peter Gabriel.

Offline SharonBell

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • Sharon's Home Page
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2005, 09:28:40 AM »
I'm still wondering what his crime was. Maybe blocking out the light in Northern Cumbria. I tried to interest him again on his way back, and he did take a free bookmark. :)

Geoff

You have the start of a book about book signings. For the HUMOUR section, of course!! :grin:

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

Cafe Doom  |  General Discussions  |  Soap Box  |  Book signing - gulp!!

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.149 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx