News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

Book signing - gulp!!

Started by Geoff_N, August 30, 2005, 11:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_N

Les blesshissocks Floyd has arranged a booksigning for me in his hometown of Carlisle. It will be a launch/lunch  too for Escaping Reality, much of which takes place in the area.

Anyone who lives nearby or further away - please come and see this poor man signing the two or three copies...  :yes:

Bookends, 56 Castle Street, Carlisle CA3 8JA
11 a.m. Saturday 24th September 2005

Geoff

Walker

Congrats, Goeff, that's very exciting news. If I lived on your side of the pond I'd likely be there for a signed copy, or at least to mill around, ask strange questions and generally make people feel uncomfortable. Did you say there is going to be free food?
"Lord, here comes the flood, we will say goodbye to flesh and blood. If, again, the seas are silent in any still alive, it'll be those who gave their island to survive. Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry."
Peter Gabriel.

SharonBell

Wow! Good at ya! Free drinks? Did I hear free drinks?  :glad:
"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

Ed

I used to live in Carlisle, when I was a kid (one of my many moves) and, if it wasn't a seven hour drive for me, I'd be there  :afro:  Best of luck with the book signing, Geoff.  I hope you sell a shedload of copies :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

SharonBell

Hey, Geoff, I have your book--but no autograph! How can I get you to sign MY copy??? :scratch:
"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

Geoff_N

Come to Carlisle!
Sorry Sharon, the publisher's gofor sent out the orders before we could say: Stop! Nelder has a list of orders that need signing.

Geoff

JoyceCarter

Yup, like Ed, I'd have a 7 hour drive to get there, but ALL THE BEST, and I hope it goes well for you.  :cheers: :D

Geoff_N

Thanks Joyce, Blunt and all those others who would be there but for the difficulties of a linear dimension. At least Les F will be there, he's set it up!

Speaking of what colour ink for book signings, I posted it jokingly (what me?) on Speculations and got this very interesting reply! I think I will have to take notice of so it will written in black, Sharon, just like this:                              is that OK?

[quote:]
One thing you should consider is the chemical properties of the ink. (I'm not kidding.) There have been studies done about what different colors of ink do to different kinds of paper, and how long certain ink colors last, etc. (These were done by scientists concerned about the lifespan of lab notebooks.)

Red ink is not good - in 20 years you lose the ink and end up with lace-like pages - you could still read it, if you hold it up to the light, because the ink literally eats away the paper. Blue ink, in general, fades faster than black. Pens with volatile inks (like Sharpies (R)) are not good, either, for discoloration and fading concerns. India ink and black fountain pen ink fades faster than black ballpoint.

So, the winner came out boring old black ballpoint. It doesn't harm the paper as much, and lasts many times longer than any of the other inks. I always, therefore, used black ballpoint when recording data & notes in my lab notebooks (when I used such things).

Assume you're going to become quite collectible and do your fans a favor: use black ballpoint.  [end of quote]

Ed

:scratch: Yeah, now I come to think of it, I've seen red ink faded to almost nothing.  It was on some old homework stuff I found from my school days.  Give it another five years or so, and it'll look like my homework was flawless :grin:

Are you getting nervous yet, Geoff?  Only a couple weeks to go.  Good luck on the day :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Geoff_N

Does this answer your question, Blunt?   :hidin:

Ed

:chkn1:

:afro:  I reckon you'll be fine.

JoyceCarter

Oh, there HAD to be a good excuse for using that smiley!  (You can always ask if you can borrow a book to read if the time starts to drag, Geoff... :bleh:)

Geoff_N

I am chicken, just ask any foxy lady  :shocked:

Another bookshop has fallen for my promo and asked me to do a signing. This one is in CHESTER, Saturday 15th October 11 am at BOOKLANDS in Upper Bridge Street.

Anyone who fancies dropping by (Chester is a quaint shopping centre, Roman ruins, Zoo, river trips, Hollyoaks actors to fall over, Park & Rides, a complete ancient wall with circumnavigating walk, and a good bike shop) would be made welcome. :)

Ed

Yup, Chester is a beautiful city.  I've only been there once, but I remember being impressed by all the Tudor buildings and the city walls.  Lovely spot.

Oh, and good luck with that one, too :afro:

JoyceCarter

Likewise - really beautiful place.   So much so that, riding shotgun with my husband when he was taking a car on a trailer to the Wirral, we said we'd stop there for a pub lunch and brief walkabout.  But - we couldn't find anywhere we could park the truck and trailer withing hiking distance of the middle.

You coming anywhere nearer the south, Geoff?