gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55860 Posts in 6181 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 October 15, 2018, 07:29:56 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looking for Writing Advice Re Previously Published Work  (Read 8172 times)
SharonBell
Critter

« on: September 09, 2005, 08:44:47 AM »

As I noted in another board, GothicBard is closing its website. While the site is currently up, I anticipate it will come down shortly. I have a number of flash pieces and two short stories posted there.

If I want to submit these pieces elsewhere, after the site is down, would this be how I phrase a cover letter or email?

"This piece was originally published online at GothicBard.com, however, the website is no longer in existence."

It's not like a book or magazine. Once it's gone, it vanishes. Does that make it unpublished? If I was lucky, about 1000 people might have seen the stories.

Any thoughts?

"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com
JoyceCarter
Coroner

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 09:05:58 AM »

How about describing your pieces as having been 'previously briefly posted on GothicBard, a website which no longer exists'?  I think this would show that you were being upfront about the fact that they had been 'out there', while at the same time reinforcing the (correct) impression that they had certainly not had wide exposure.  And if you were in the position of submitting one of these pieces in six or twelve months' time, and it hadn't been placed in between, I don't see that you'd need to bother any more - who's going to remember GothicBard by then?

(I quite see the attraction in some cases of presenting a piece as new.  It's odd, isn't it? - in other circumstances, on a CV in support of a submission for example, you'll probably be wanting to list these 'publications'!)
GrinReaper
Mortician

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 11:34:26 AM »

I'm with Joyce. I can't see other publishers would have a huge problem with it, and I think they'd appreciate your honesty.

Failing that, you could post them here and we could do them for the podcasts! yes
SharonBell
Critter

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 12:43:11 PM »

Thanks for the great advice Joyce and GR! GothicBard is now really, truly VANISHED, so I wasn't jumping the gun on this.  Shocked

Hmmm..one of them, "Vermiphobia" was work-shopped here, then I revised it and it was published on GothicBard. The other, "The One Minute Murderer" was not workshopped here and would be new.  The flash pieces were all originally entries into the Doom Cafe weekly flash pieces, so they're available immediately.

I'd love to have both of the longer short stories Podcast. The MCs are male, so male voices will be needed. Where shall I post them for the Podcast Portfolio? I started one for the Flash winners, but do we have a separate thread for longer tales?

www.sharonbuchbinder.com
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 04:11:10 PM »

I read somewhere that a piece has to be viewed 5000 times for it to be considered 'published' on the internet.  But honesty is really the best policy, as the others say. afro

BTW, on the story front - probably best to use the flash thread you started, Sharon - I can always edit the title to say both.  Thanks  smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
SharonBell
Critter

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 05:27:20 PM »

Okay! Then Cafe Doom will get both for Podcasts! cheers

www.sharonbuchbinder.com
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 05:56:17 PM »

Big chief Neil Marr at Bewrite often told us that the postings of short stories, poems, flashes and articles there does not constitute being published as far as comps & mags are concerned.

However, when I mentioned to Interzone that a short SF I submitted to them was showcased at BeWrite they told me to have it withdrawn before they would consider it. So I did. Then they rejected it! But I sold it elsewhere  bleh

Most writers' websites and paper mags have submission guidelines that include whether your piece has been showcased or not on a works-in-progress type site like BeWrite or this one. At the London Book Fair I asked a publisher's legal rep about what  the situation is. He said that legally anything that is put into the public domain is considered published. This includes temporary stories on websites and even letters to newspaper editors. But it doesn't include work for which only registered members can read it rather than the general public.

Hope this helps.

Geoff

SharonBell
Critter

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 10:09:00 PM »

Merci!

www.sharonbuchbinder.com
JoyceCarter
Coroner

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005, 06:41:53 AM »

Hard-and-fast legally, understood.  But the guidelines do vary, don't they?  I can't see that anyone can object to honesty.
Robert M. Blevins
Coffin Maker

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 01:06:40 AM »

All of this stuff has made me wary of contributing work on forums. My two exceptions are HERE and at bewilderingstories.com (A place I highly recommend, by the way)

'Don't give up reaching for the stars...
just build yourself a bigger ladder.'
JoyceCarter
Coroner

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 03:26:15 AM »

Quite.  I only put things here and on one other entirely closed group.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 03:59:03 AM »

scratch I don't worry about it at all.  The way I see it is that I'm still practising and learning, and the only way I'll learn more is through more practise and constructive criticism.  But then, I'm the same - I only post stuff here and at one other closed forum, now.  Not that I've had time to write anything much lately grin

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
JoyceCarter
Coroner

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2005, 04:19:39 AM »

Well, yes, 'constructive criticism' is rather the point.  In so many places, all you see is 'tear it apart because the guru didn't write it and we're all supposed to boost his ego',  'tear it apart because I didn't write it and all I care about is boosting my ego', or knee-jerk reaction like 'it's lovely' or 'it's crap'.  None of those is helpful.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2005, 03:13:43 PM »

I don't mind having my stuff torn apart - I would much rather that, and improve, than take false praise and stay the same or get worse.  It might be depressing at times, but the only way I improve is by accepting criticism (in whatever form), evaluating the worth of the criticism, and then either ignoring it, or taking the advice that's offered.  What's the alternative?

The biggest problem I find is that there are so many forums where people give bad advice (sometimes with the best intentions) to aspiring writers.  I wasted years just going around in circles, never getting any better, in some cases getting worse.  It's really confusing and frustrating.

There aren't many people whose criticism I take pretty much as read, but you're one of them, Joyce.  Keep up the good work. smiley

JoyceCarter
Coroner

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2005, 06:18:33 PM »

Aw... I'm very glad if I can help.  I'm also very touched that you should think that.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx