News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

BeWrite down again

Started by Ed, March 14, 2005, 02:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff_N

Don't worry about stepping on my toes, Walker. They are part of my feet, and I'm always putting my foot in it, but luckily the boot is usually on the other foot  :smiley:  Luckily I have three feet, though the other one has a mind of its own and has gone walkabout...

Donna is not a mod at BeWrite but she is a great editor there!

Geoff

Geoff_N

Blunt, we were all aghast at the post you quoted by Neil, especially the last few comments. Neil was very ill, on a busload of powerful drugs for his heart condition.  He'd had a terrible shock with the death of  his brother, the circumstances of which were more awful than he wants made public. I don't think he understood the pernicious effect that Broemmel was having on BeWrite and its members, but nevertheless he knew how upset we were at the ramifications of MB's scams, nasty posts in private and public and in other fora. Some of Neil's posts indicated he was slipping off the rails and you quoted one example. It was written the same day his doctor told him he will probably lose both legs because of his circulation problems. It wasnt the real lovable, helpful Neil many of us know. He has had 3 major heart ops since then, and appartently making a slow recovery. I try not to judge people on a few things they say. I assume everyone is temporarily insane, like me  :cool:

Geoff

Ed

I didn't know most of that, Geoff :/  How awful for him. 

I wasn't judging Neil, though, just saying I didn't feel very welcome after that post.  I got the sense from his posts that he was slipping into depression, but a lot seemed to be going on both behind the scenes and in plain view that we weren't at liberty to discuss openly.  That was part of what led to a feeling of alienation, I suppose.  Not just with me, but with a lot of folks, I presume.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Walker

Quote from: Geoff_N on August 30, 2005, 03:34:34 AM

I don't think he understood the pernicious effect that Broemmel was having on BeWrite and its members,

After reading this, I've come to realize, more clearly, that this was the main reason I retracted from BW--not because of the people or the so called 'clique' (perhaps a word that is best reconsidered before use), but the horrible fallout from the fiasco involving MB, AK and those who got heavily involved. When I got an email, out of the blue, from MB, I was shocked. It wasn't a bad email, infact it was a mild 'hello' of sorts, but I could sense that I was being asked to pick a side, and I just won't do that. I'm on one side only-- my side. I don't pick favorites, ever. I would stop visiting any writing forum forever before I would involve myself in that type of thing.
I like BW, it was the first site that showed me some kindness and encouraged me to keep writing. I improved a lot from the advice I got there, and I made some good cyber-friends too, like you folks.
I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from, guys, and were able to interpret my poor choice of words.
Thanks.

:smiley:
"Lord, here comes the flood, we will say goodbye to flesh and blood. If, again, the seas are silent in any still alive, it'll be those who gave their island to survive. Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry."
Peter Gabriel.