gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55862 Posts in 6181 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 15, 2018, 09:41:35 AM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Autocrit  (Read 4611 times)
Walker
Coroner

« on: September 18, 2005, 10:19:29 AM »

This could be very useful to writers.
I've only used it once, but it looks pretty handy.

http://www.autocrit.com/critnow.cfm

enjoy.   smiley

"Lord, here comes the flood, we will say goodbye to flesh and blood. If, again, the seas are silent in any still alive, it'll be those who gave their island to survive. Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry."
Peter Gabriel.
SharonBell
Critter

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 01:23:17 PM »

Wow! What a GREAT tool! Thanks for the link!  dance

"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com
JoyceCarter
Coroner

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 01:41:05 PM »

Thanks, Walker!  It could be very useful.

(Why is there a little image in my mind of the computer geek/wannabe writer who's invented it, sitting there recording all the bits of writing that other people enter into his 'baby'?)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 02:04:25 PM »

Interesting idea - thanks smiley

I vaguely remember somebody saying there's something similar built into MS Word, but I've never found it scratch

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 03:03:24 PM »

Where did you find it, Walker? It is very good. AutoCrit certainly helps an overworked editor to spot the less obvious repeated phrases, etc.

As for MS Word, there are quite a lot of details that fiddling with the Grammar options can give you, (eg passive v active voice) but not as useful as autocrit.  Now, if only it would do some more of my editing tasks such as: show how to enrich characters from 2D to 3D; judge the pace, analyze the frequency of plot twists; peaks, troughs and denouement styles; the stereotyping of characters; cliche use in phrases, plot and sub-plots; continuity errors; and whether this bottle of claret is off?  But I have to earn my money somewhere!

A neat find, Walker  cool

Geoff

Walker
Coroner

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 03:14:31 PM »

Where did you find it, Walker? It is very good. AutoCrit certainly helps an overworked editor to spot the less obvious repeated phrases, etc.

Geoff

I found it in another forum. I don't usually pay much attention, I already have enough reference material, but this one IS different. I ran one of my stories through and found repetition where I'd missed it a hundred times. where I'd missed it a hundred times.

cool

"Lord, here comes the flood, we will say goodbye to flesh and blood. If, again, the seas are silent in any still alive, it'll be those who gave their island to survive. Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry."
Peter Gabriel.
JoyceCarter
Coroner

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 05:43:16 PM »

grin grin grin grin
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2005, 06:50:31 PM »

If you want to learn to spot repetition, Walker, I can lend you a five year-old, any time you want Cheesy grin

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx