News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

NaNoWriMo

Started by Ed, November 05, 2004, 06:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Yup, thought this section looked a bit bare and...ssssuddenly, out of the blue, thought about NaNoWriMo.  I was going to do it last time, but only found out about it half way through the month.

Anyhoo...for those who do not know http://www.nanowrimo.org/modules/cjaycontent/index.php?id=2  They organise this thing every year, for the month of November.  Don't ask me why, but they do, and apparently a few half decent novels come out of it each time :scratch:  For those with a yearning for discipline, it might be the very thing they've been looking for...Neuro ;)
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Neuromancer

Quote6) This is not as scary as it sounds.

Ummm yes it is!

Yes I am a writer, but my critics call me a typist.--Salem's Lot

Ed

Quote from: Neuromancer on November 05, 2004, 06:53:33 PM
Quote6) This is not as scary as it sounds.

Ummm yes it is!

Nay, nay...thrice nay :D tis not scary in the least.... :D  Now get on with it ;D
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

doolols

Sorry to drag this up from the murky depths, but I was just wandering through, clicking on "mark as read" to stop those little baubles flashing, and reading various threads as I go (but not for long - Eastenders in a minute).

I've done NaNo twice now (succeeded both times), but I found the main problem was the quality, or lack thereof, of the finished work. As someone who has a full time job, I don't have much time for writing, and I just bashed the words out. But what to do with 50,000 poor quality words?

I'm still trying to work it out  :angry:
My name is Gerald, and I am a writer (practicing for AA - Authors Anonymous)

Ed

Yup, I've come to that way of thinking too, Gerald - I kept looking and looking at what I'd written in my novel, trying to tweak bits, edit and improve.  But then I realised that it would be quicker, easier and probably better if I just ditched everything I'd written to date, and started again afresh.  So, yeah, it's kinda pointless really... forget that I mentioned it :grin:

doolols

Forget you mentioned what?  :scratch:

It's a shame. So much effort is put in to the thing, but I found last year that everything else I wrote for the next month or so (some would say ever since then) was really light, and fluffy, and full of dialogue, and was dashed off in a couple of minutes.

I proved I could do it.  I got the certificates but no tee shirt.

One thing it did do was prove to me that I need to plan my novels carefully, and pretty fully. I know some writers just start at page one, and carry on until they've finished the story, but I need to plan everything reasonably thoroughly. Trouble is, I spend all my time planning, and bugger-all time writing  :bangh:
My name is Gerald, and I am a writer (practicing for AA - Authors Anonymous)