A Novel Guide to London Short Story Comp

Started by SharonBell, September 21, 2005, 02:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharonBell

Fiction
Closes: 25th December 2005
Fees: £0 for one entry. 
Prizes: £0 for first place. Camera and publication.
Details: We want short stories about London. They should give a real feel about what a particular area in London is like. Stories should be between 500 and 3000 words.
Email: stories@anovelguide.com

"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

Missy

This one looks right up my alley! Very interesting indeed!  :afro:

Ed

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Missy

I'll see. I can't write my name this week. I'm chewing my fingers off with this packing up smoking caper.
And I'm having a small (large) crisis of confidence at the moment. I suppose we all get them don't we? Me more than anyone I think.
I did try to write a non-fiction thing about where I used to live, but it came out like a load of sentimental clap trap. Perhaps I'll have another go. I wonder if Gary H has seen this, (Addled One, is that his name on here?)

Ed

I know what you mean about the crisis of confidence.  You get to the stage where your head's so full of do's and don'ts and this and that is bad and this is good, blah, blah, that you feel like somebody tied your brain in a knot and stamped on your hands :cheesy:

I think the most important part is that you enjoy writing what you write - feeling compelled is even better.  I've stopped trying to 'write a story'.  I've gone back to writing how I used to write, and it's more like writing to a friend to pass on an anecdote than it's like 'writing a story'.  It feels better, and I think the stories read better. :afro: 

Haven't seen Addledone for ages :scratch:  We got a bit of an influx of peeps looking for a new home, when AIA shut down, but I think it was too damp, here in the cellar, for some of them :huh:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

JoyceCarter

Quoteyou feel like somebody tied your brain in a knot and stamped on your hands

Oh, YES.  That's a familiar feeling.  :/

Missy

I've started to wonder if I enjoy it. I don't seem to be just lately, but I expect it will pass. I'm trying to do everything right instead of just doing it. That's the problem.

I'll copy that link and post it on The Write Idea, Addled one is on there.

JoyceCarter

I find that the feeling comes and goes, but the compulsion to write is ALWAYS there, whether pleasure is involved or not.

SharonBell

Is that like the quote for exercise?

"Whenever I feel like exercising, I lie down until the feeling passes."  :grin:

Actually a writer friend (published with 31 books) came to stay for the weekend and we had long conversations about writing. I told her at times, I feel as if I'm possessed (and obsessed) by the story. It's as if the characters want a story told and I can't think of anything else until it's done. They take over my head.

She laughed and said that was her experience writing an encyclopedia of saints. She said it felt as if they each stood at her shoulder dictating their story to her and wouldn't let her go until it was done. Even her husband remarked that he couldn't wait for the saints to be gone!

"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

JoyceCarter

LOL, I know what you mean...

But no, really it's the opposite.  I HAVE to write.   Sometimes it's difficult and like getting blood out of a stone, but it has to be done.  Other times it's like flying, the best time possible, then it's a joy and no forcing myself involved.  I have had characters running things, but more often these days, they seem to let 'me' in on the process!