gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55884 Posts in 6181 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 January 25, 2020, 01:17:19 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question  (Read 6565 times)
PaulC44446
Coffin Maker

« on: September 28, 2005, 07:35:01 AM »

I have a question for anyone who might be able to answer it. Has anyone here heard of Samsdotpublishing? If so, what have you heard? Good or bad? The reason I wish to know is that they've just asked me to illustrate a poetry chapbook for one of their writers... which is good. But, I would be paid by a royalty per book sold. Which also might be good... or bad. I'm just curious on how popular this publishing company might be. This way I could kind of tell one way or another if the job would be worth my time. Thanks all.

PaulC44446  scratch
Walker
Coroner

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005, 12:43:02 PM »

Hi Paul,
I  can't answer this question but I wanted to let you know that I'm ready to pick up a copy of your book now. Fire me off a PM with all the info I need (I guess it's just the email I deposit into) and I'll return it with my address, etc.
Can't wait to read your book. My son is a big fan of this type of genre too, and I'll bet he'd post a comment on Amazon also.

"Lord, here comes the flood, we will say goodbye to flesh and blood. If, again, the seas are silent in any still alive, it'll be those who gave their island to survive. Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry."
Peter Gabriel.
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005, 02:18:22 PM »

I haven't heard of them either.  I guess what you have to decide is whether the exposure the project will give you will pay off (possibly leading to better paid work), because I can't see you doing all that well from a share of the proceeds.  Could be wrong, though.  Try asking them for a projected sales figure.  If it's low, or they can't give you even a rough estimate, I'd walk away.  You shouldn't sell yourself short smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
PaulC44446
Coffin Maker

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005, 07:19:59 PM »

I already went there with that idea. They said that some of their poetry chapbooks do well and some don't. So I guess the coin could fall on either side. I think I'll see just how much work will be involved first. They do publish a ton of other stuff so I guess it could lead to bigger better things with them.

Thanks for the advice though.

PaulC44446
JoyceCarter
Coroner

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 05:02:40 AM »

Do let us know how it turns out, even if you decide not to go with it.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 05:22:43 AM »

Yep, good luck with them.  I hope it leads to some profitable work smiley

Thinking about it, I was once commissioned by a local publishing firm to come up with an image of a hanged man, for a book cover.  Trouble was, they were only willing to pay £40 for the image ($70), which made it a bit of a non-starter for me.  By the time I paid for film and processing, as well as set-up costs and spending time finding a location, etc.  It wasn't worth doing.

I get the impression most publishing firms are a bit tight with their image budget scratch

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
PaulC44446
Coffin Maker

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 06:23:38 AM »

Your right there... the problem is that there are still a ton of reades that will judge a book by it's cover. If the cover image isn't quality, the book doesn't get a second look. Case and point... I've sold a bunch of copies of my first book "Inside the Insane" to the "YOUNGER GENERATION" .. you know the one.. the one that doesn't really read anymore... just because of the cover image. They seen the illustration and it caught their eye long enough for them to grab a copy of it. Had the cover illustration been poor I honestly believe a lot of them would've passed on it.

PaulC44446
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 07:59:01 AM »

Yep - a good cover is a must.  I know I shouldn't do it, but the cover can make the difference between me picking a book up and reading the blurb or not bothering, so it probably holds true that most other people do it too. smiley

PaulC44446
Coffin Maker

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 07:17:47 PM »

Now if publishers would only come to grips with this reality, I might be a rich man.

PaulC44446
JoyceCarter
Coroner

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 04:11:07 AM »

We'll have to organize a campaign, getting obscure old titles from jumble sales and remainders shops, and writing to the publishers saying, 'If only this book had had a good cover when it came out, I would have found it then and recommended it to all my friends so it would have been a best-seller.'
PaulC44446
Coffin Maker

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 05:18:44 AM »

It's sad but true. The human is a visual beast. If it doesn't look attractive to him or her they don't smell, touch or eat it.

PaulC44446
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx