gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 14, 2017, 05:38:24 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NaNoWriMo  (Read 4505 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« on: November 05, 2004, 06:09:05 PM »

Yup, thought this section looked a bit bare and...ssssuddenly, out of the blue, thought about NaNoWriMo.  I was going to do it last time, but only found out about it half way through the month.

Anyhoo...for those who do not know http://www.nanowrimo.org/modules/cjaycontent/index.php?id=2  They organise this thing every year, for the month of November.  Don't ask me why, but they do, and apparently a few half decent novels come out of it each time scratch  For those with a yearning for discipline, it might be the very thing they've been looking for...Neuro Wink

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Neuromancer
Indefatigable Misanthrope
Mortician

Semper Veritas

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 06:53:33 PM »

6) This is not as scary as it sounds.

Ummm yes it is!

Yes I am a writer, but my critics call me a typist.--Salem's Lot
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 07:12:40 PM »

6) This is not as scary as it sounds.

Ummm yes it is!

Nay, nay...thrice nay grin tis not scary in the least.... grin  Now get on with it heh

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
doolols
Coroner

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 02:31:42 PM »

Sorry to drag this up from the murky depths, but I was just wandering through, clicking on "mark as read" to stop those little baubles flashing, and reading various threads as I go (but not for long - Eastenders in a minute).

I've done NaNo twice now (succeeded both times), but I found the main problem was the quality, or lack thereof, of the finished work. As someone who has a full time job, I don't have much time for writing, and I just bashed the words out. But what to do with 50,000 poor quality words?

I'm still trying to work it out  :angry:

My name is Gerald, and I am a writer (practicing for AA - Authors Anonymous)
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 02:54:11 PM »

Yup, I've come to that way of thinking too, Gerald - I kept looking and looking at what I'd written in my novel, trying to tweak bits, edit and improve.  But then I realised that it would be quicker, easier and probably better if I just ditched everything I'd written to date, and started again afresh.  So, yeah, it's kinda pointless really... forget that I mentioned it grin

doolols
Coroner

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 05:56:17 PM »

Forget you mentioned what?  scratch

It's a shame. So much effort is put in to the thing, but I found last year that everything else I wrote for the next month or so (some would say ever since then) was really light, and fluffy, and full of dialogue, and was dashed off in a couple of minutes.

I proved I could do it.  I got the certificates but no tee shirt.

One thing it did do was prove to me that I need to plan my novels carefully, and pretty fully. I know some writers just start at page one, and carry on until they've finished the story, but I need to plan everything reasonably thoroughly. Trouble is, I spend all my time planning, and bugger-all time writing  bangh

My name is Gerald, and I am a writer (practicing for AA - Authors Anonymous)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx