gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

gfx gfx
gfx
55948 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 September 29, 2020, 03:05:29 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  General Discussions  |  Soap Box  |  Call for submissions...Spring, 2006. Adventure Books, Seattle
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Call for submissions...Spring, 2006. Adventure Books, Seattle  (Read 3355 times)

Offline Robert M. Blevins

• Coffin Maker
    • Adventure Books of Seattle
Call for submissions...Spring, 2006. Adventure Books, Seattle
« on: October 07, 2005, 06:18:34 PM »
 :cheers:
Call for Submissions from Adventure Books Publishing

This may have been posted once before, but twice can't hurt.

Adventure Books, a Seattle-based small press specializing in high-quality paperbacks, is open for novel and non-fiction submissions.
Folks, we love to give new writers a shot at publication, and we have a great marketing program!

Forget about the traditional tiny paperback with boring covers, etc. We publish paperbacks with stunning cover art, using cream heavy paper for the inside matter.  The actual books measure a full six by nine inches in size!

What we are looking for:

How-to, non-fiction, horror, hard science-fiction (no fantasy), romance novels-especially in a series with a regular main character, high adventure, and other genres.  We like shorter word lengths, too. Under 75K words is good. (Easier to market wholesale because this keeps print costs down.)

For full details, see the Submissions page at Adventure Books!  If we accept your work for publication, we will work with you to make it better, insert images at the beginning of each chapter (if needed or if it adds to the book)  and offer you a generous royalty-based contract. You will also receive the usual marketing package. This is assignment of an ISBN to the book, posting at Amazon, Borders, and Barnes/Noble, and listing with Ingram, the largest U.S. wholesaler of books. Ingram also lists your book with their European outlet, based in Britain. We also do much local marketing and make your book available in many other venues. And of course, your book is listed in Books In Print and Bowser's Books, the two main sources nearly all libraries and bookstores on the planet use to update their inventory.

If your book sells well, we do well and so do you. So, we market aggressively. One example:  On our last book release, we ordered custom-made posters 24x36 inches about the book. We posted them in bookstores with a few copies of the book. Sales took off almost immediately. We also do press releases, and we send copies to major reviewers. We even shop around the film rights, if applicable.

On another forum, there is a company doing the same thing as we do. However, we are much different in a couple of ways.   First, we can make your work marketable. Second, our books are constructed of first-class materials. They are NOT anything like those standard trade paperbacks. Finally, we are linked to Bewildering Stories Magazine and as an author for AB, your work would be (nearly) automatic to appear there, if you wish to submit some shorter works just to draw attention to your writing. To see an example of how a typical AB book looks, go here:  www.lulu.com/adventurebooks 

Like some other small presses, we use lulu.com to print our books. They do top-notch work. They use the best paper and covers available, and here at www.discountebooks.net, we have the software and the know-how to make a book that will draw unbelievable attention to your work.

SPECIAL NOTE: The website link will not work until October 11, because we are changing our domain name to lose the 'freewebs' in our name. It is now www.discountebooks.net.  Discountebooks is the parent company, Adventure Books is our paperback imprint. Also, the site is being revamped totally into a publishing company site. Bear with us, it will only be a couple of days before everything works...

We observed what the 'other guys' do for two years. Then we made it better. It is as simple as that!

All information, all links to everything I have described can be found at the Adventure Books website. Just click on the link and explore to your heart's content.

And don't forget to turn up your speakers if you go there... :dance:

Robert M. Blevins
Gayla J. Prociv
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 07:07:51 PM by Robert M. Blevins »
'Don't give up reaching for the stars...
just build yourself a bigger ladder.'

Offline JoyceCarter

• Coroner
Re: Call for submissions...Spring, 2006. Adventure Books, Seattle
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2005, 04:57:05 AM »
Interesting...

Offline PaulC44446

• Coffin Maker
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2005, 03:32:48 PM »
I'm interested. I need a link to the website though. If you posted it I must just be missing it. I have a question also. Would you be interested in a novella of around 14,500 words? It was also previously run in my book "Inside the Insane" but never anywhere else. I have all rights to the story. Please let me know.

PaulC44446

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005, 04:06:53 PM »
When I've finished NAY (October next) I'll give you a shout, Robert :afro:  Until then, unfortunately, I haven't got anything worth sending :/
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline SharonBell

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • Sharon's Home Page
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 07:51:59 AM »
Yeah, me too! I've got one I'm re-writing--mystery/romance. Would that be of interest?
"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

Offline Walker

• Coroner
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2005, 08:37:09 AM »
Yep, me three.
I'll have something in about a year or less, but it won't be publishable, maybe not even recognizable.
When I reach that point, Robert, maybe I'll fire off a synopsis and first few chapters so you could see if you and Gayla are interested.
It sounds like you're putting lots into this, it's good to see. I imagine there's plenty of room for publishers that may have the authors best interest in mind and not necessarily out to gouge them.
Regardless, I hope you meet with lots of success.
 :smiley:
"Lord, here comes the flood, we will say goodbye to flesh and blood. If, again, the seas are silent in any still alive, it'll be those who gave their island to survive. Drink up, dreamers, you're running dry."
Peter Gabriel.

Cafe Doom  |  General Discussions  |  Soap Box  |  Call for submissions...Spring, 2006. Adventure Books, Seattle

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.119 seconds with 22 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx