gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

gfx gfx
gfx
55956 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 February 28, 2021, 08:16:13 AM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  Good Article by Nick Mamatas on Writing Horror
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Good Article by Nick Mamatas on Writing Horror  (Read 4166 times)

Offline SharonBell

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • Sharon's Home Page
Good Article by Nick Mamatas on Writing Horror
« on: October 16, 2005, 07:48:15 AM »
If you don't get The Writer Magazine (around since 1887, no less!) you can read a brief overview of this nifty article http://www.writermag.com/wrt/default.aspx?c=a&id=2554

Based on what I've seen in Cafe Doom, I think our forum covers the Subgenres he outlines (I'm summarizing below) and I think I know where my "stuff" fits (sort of!) ;):

"Weird fiction--Fiction that concentrates on the uncanny, surreal and impossible. Rarely gory. Think HP Lovecraft, Ramsey Campbell and Thomas Ligotti.

Quiet Horror--Supernatural, nongory, focus on human relationships and character's struggles to create consensus reality. Think Shirley Jackson, Charles Grant.

Splatterpunk/Extreme Horror--Gore for gore's sake, and markedly conservative morality. Lots of kinky sex, freaky murders, piles of steaming intestines. Mostly male writers. Think Charlee Jacob and Ed Lee.

Modern Vampire--Not the villains anymore, still want blood. Now they fight evil and worry about big questions. Mostly women writers. Think Anne Rice, Karen E Taylor, Jemiah Jefferson.

Psychological Horror--Explores often sexualized violence born of disordered psyches. Think Robert Bloch and Psycho.

Dark Fantasy
--Bleak, dark themes using fantasy elements--elves, pagan gods. No happy endings or rare happy endings. Think Neil Gaiman and his comic book series The Sandman."
"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

Offline JoyceCarter

• Coroner
Re: Good Article by Nick Mamatas on Writing Horror
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 04:04:26 AM »
Thanks, Sharon - that's interesting.  Interesting to see myself pulled in several of these directions.

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
Re: Good Article by Nick Mamatas on Writing Horror
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 06:04:35 AM »
This must have happened when I was away on my hols :scratch:

Interesting article, Sharon, thanks :afro:  I think we fit into the quiet and weird category ::) :grin:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Cafe Doom  |  The Critique Crypt  |  General writing chat  |  Good Article by Nick Mamatas on Writing Horror

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.126 seconds with 23 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx