News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

Good Article by Nick Mamatas on Writing Horror

Started by SharonBell, October 16, 2005, 08:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharonBell

If you don't get The Writer Magazine (around since 1887, no less!) you can read a brief overview of this nifty article http://www.writermag.com/wrt/default.aspx?c=a&id=2554

Based on what I've seen in Cafe Doom, I think our forum covers the Subgenres he outlines (I'm summarizing below) and I think I know where my "stuff" fits (sort of!) ;):

"Weird fiction--Fiction that concentrates on the uncanny, surreal and impossible. Rarely gory. Think HP Lovecraft, Ramsey Campbell and Thomas Ligotti.

Quiet Horror--Supernatural, nongory, focus on human relationships and character's struggles to create consensus reality. Think Shirley Jackson, Charles Grant.

Splatterpunk/Extreme Horror--Gore for gore's sake, and markedly conservative morality. Lots of kinky sex, freaky murders, piles of steaming intestines. Mostly male writers. Think Charlee Jacob and Ed Lee.

Modern Vampire--Not the villains anymore, still want blood. Now they fight evil and worry about big questions. Mostly women writers. Think Anne Rice, Karen E Taylor, Jemiah Jefferson.

Psychological Horror--Explores often sexualized violence born of disordered psyches. Think Robert Bloch and Psycho.

Dark Fantasy
--Bleak, dark themes using fantasy elements--elves, pagan gods. No happy endings or rare happy endings. Think Neil Gaiman and his comic book series The Sandman."
"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

JoyceCarter

Thanks, Sharon - that's interesting.  Interesting to see myself pulled in several of these directions.

Ed

This must have happened when I was away on my hols :scratch:

Interesting article, Sharon, thanks :afro:  I think we fit into the quiet and weird category ::) :grin:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]