gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

gfx gfx
gfx
55971 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 November 28, 2021, 03:28:03 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  HELP!  |  General help  |  Sound help needed!!
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Sound help needed!!  (Read 5599 times)

Offline Geoff_N

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • my webbie
Sound help needed!!
« on: November 19, 2005, 08:43:41 AM »
Donna and her Welshman kindly helped me read me book to a microphone plugged into his PC using Goldwave.
We saved them as 26 WAV files, which converted easily to mp3
I used Goldwave to delete unused chunks of the files and can just get all 26 mp3 files onto one CD.

But, if I put the mp3 CD into a HiFi or Walkman that play mp3, it seems to pick track 11 rather than track 1. I tried renaming the files in alphabetical order and then in numbers; I made sure the file properties said what the track number is.

a) what am I doing wrong?
b) can you recommend good, cheap, easy to use software to help me?

Geoff

Offline Geoff_N

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • my webbie
Re: Sound help needed!!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 10:46:58 AM »
Hi Geoff, I think I found the answer you want. Looking on the PC at proper audio CDs all of them have their tracks named as Track01, Track02, Track03 etc   so it might be a convention that the CD players are programmed to look for.

No need to thank me. Glad to be of help.
Back to the looney bin.

Oh, and the Sonic software is better than I thought.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 10:47:32 AM by Geoff_N »

Offline JoyceCarter

• Coroner
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 11:04:27 AM »
An old story, neatly told!  ::)

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 12:10:39 PM »
Have you managed to clean up the audio quality yet, Geoff?  Donna asked me to take a look at it, but the most I could do was raise the volume and put it through the pop/click filter.  Anything else I tried seemed to result in a low pitched hum, or a high pitched ssshhh sound.

Well done for sorting out the file naming problem :afro:  What burning software are you using?  I use Nero, which is pretty straightforward and hasn't given me any probs yet :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline Geoff_N

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • my webbie
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 01:25:10 PM »
I used Sonic, which came with the Dell PC

I was very happy with Nero on a PC my son made for me 2 years ago. But when I had to rebuild that PC I lost Nero. Now when I look at the Nero website I find a confusing mess of mostly commercial OTT audio stuff I don't need.

Yep, I fear that there will be hisses and boos with the noises on the files :(  On the other hand both the blind friends who have asked for it, seem to like a sprinkling of amateurism in between the smoother professional jobs read by Stephen Fry et al. :)

Thaniks for taking the time with it, Blunt.

Geoff

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 04:35:41 PM »
No problem, Geoff - I just wish I could have been of more help.  I'll send you the file I doctored, so that you can see if it's any better than what you've got already :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 04:48:59 PM »
You should find it in your Yahoo inbox now :afro:

Cafe Doom  |  HELP!  |  General help  |  Sound help needed!!

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.115 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx