News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

Pushing Forward

Started by PaulC44446, November 03, 2005, 02:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulC44446

I just spoke with the manager at the Fairlawn Borders Bookstore (by Akron OH). I have to make a trip out there tomorrow to drop off a copy of my book. Looks like I might get it on the shelves there as well as the Niles OH store. I also touched base with the manager at the Cuyahoga Falls OH Borders Bookstore. I have to call her back tomorrow about doing the same thing. I plan on working my up the state. If all goes well, I should have my books on the shelves of the Borders Bookstores in Cleveland by or right after the first of the year. I did find a few more things out today. The Borders Bookstores that are in the malls are considered Express Borders Stores and are different from the stand alone Borders Bookstores. They have a lot less space in the stores and are only able to carry what they have listed on their order lists on the computer. But, the stand alone stores can. My plan is to get it into enough of their stores that I can put together an attractive package to present to their corporation in hopes they might carry it franchise wide. Wish me luck.

PaulC44446

Ed

Good luck, Paul :afro: 

I'm just wondering - have you designed book stands to show off your book, like they do with the big name authors?  Those displays seem to sell a lot of books.
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

PaulC44446

You mean POP displays (Point of Purchase Displays). I've done a few in the past for other projects but not for my book... not yet. Space is very valuable to these stores and I'm not sure if they would let me take the room up. Maybe later down the road if my book sells good enough for an extended period of time they might. I'll have to wait and see on that.

PaulC44446

Geoff_N

I am watching your progress with great interest, Paul.

In the UK it is very difficult for an independent small publisher to get an unknown author into any of the chain bookstores. even the mainstream publishers often have to pay a "fee" of tens of thousands of dollars to secure shelf space for their debut authors. But that is for fiction. Often a chain bookstore will take a small number of non-fiction books that has local relevance in its subject or fiction if the author is local. Of course the books have to be on sale or return, and it is a nuisance to be your own distributor and accounts clerk.

My book is in a couple of independent bookstores but even there the managers are reluctant to give up advertising space in their windows or interior walls: preferring Harry Potter et al.

I might cycle round to my local Borders and leap on the manager for his take on this.

Geoff

PaulC44446

Good luck. I have found that Borders have been much easier to work with over many of the others.

PaulC44446