News:

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed :smiley:

Main Menu

Old Time Movie Poster Type Illustration

Started by PaulC44446, December 02, 2005, 07:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulC44446

Hello all,

I just did an illustration for a story of mine titled "CRAWLERS". It's going to run in a new e-zine called "Static Movement" on Jan. 1st 2006. I decided to do an old style movie type poster illustration for it. I tried to capture the style of long ago. I'm posting both the pencil drawing and the finished painting. Let me know what you think. I know the type isn't perfect... I did it in paint rather than as an overlay with the computer. I figured this was the way they did it back then (before computers).

PaulC44446

Ed

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

PaulC44446

Thank you Blunt. I tried to capture the Vincent Price Hammer Films style. I used to love those movies. This was my first attempt at this. Bet you can't tell that one of my wifes cats walked across the painting while the oils were still wet can you? I had to rework the whole thing. Wasted 3 hours of work. I think it might've turned out a bit better had I not had to rework it.

PaulC44446

JoyceCarter

Well done, Paul, again.

Who bathed the cat?!

PaulC44446

he was a mess... just his feet though. He didn't roll in it... just walked all over it. Had to bathe his feet in paint thinner then rap them so he couldn't lick them... then later bathed them in soap and water.

Paul

Ed

Should have just chucked him in the washing machine :afro:

I hate cats - does it show? :huh:

Sounds like you did well to rescue the painting, and it doesn't show.  Not to me anyway :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

JoyceCarter

We always have cats in our family, so you have my full sympathy from a position of understanding here!  I remember one of ours who got tar up the back of his back legs (the bit that's equivalent to the soles of our feet).  Some of it set solid despite all the solvents I could think of, and I had to clip the fur right down to skin level.

How could you, Blunt - there's a person inside that fur. :angry:  Cats vary, like humans, or dogs, or any other species.  Some you can get on with better than others...

Ed

Yes, I'm sure you're right, Joyce :afro:  Perhaps the microwave would've softened that tar? :fugly:

JoyceCarter

I don't quite see what you mean.  Maybe you could go first and show me?  ::) :D

PaulC44446

Looks like posting this illustration on a few boards has paid off. I now have a few new illustration jobs. Finally getting some cover design/illustration jobs.

PaulC44446

JoyceCarter

That's good  news, Paul.  (Is the cat on a percentage?!)

SharonBell

"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

PaulC44446

Well put it this way.... the cat gets to keep his feet. I'll put the rusty hacksaw away I guess.  :hidin:

PaulC44446

Ed

Quote from: PaulC44446 on December 08, 2005, 05:43:20 PM
Well put it this way.... the cat gets to keep his feet. I'll put the rusty hacksaw away I guess.  :hidin:

PaulC44446

LOL :grin:  Nail him to a skateboard by them :afro: 

Well done, Paul :smiley:

PaulC44446

I have 2 cats. One plays real nice when the wife is home... a total angel... but as soon as she leaves and it's just me he attacks me... chases me... and tries to rip my throat out. But as soon as the wife comes home he's an angel again. Wife doesn't believe me. The cat's evil.... evil I say!

PaulC4446

Ed

Buying a dog will solve the problem :afro:  Cats tend to be less cocky with a dog snapping at their heels :grin:

JoyceCarter

Right, there's another story, then!  Explain why this demon is out to get the mild-mannered artist. :evil:

PaulC44446

I do have a dog. He tries to keep them under control but when they team up he's out numbered.

Paul