gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55950 Posts in 6183 Topics by 1808 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 October 22, 2020, 10:09:40 PM
gfx* Home | Help | Login | Register | gfx
gfx
Cafe Doom  |  The Dark Arts  |  Dark Art Images  |  Medieval Illustration
gfx
gfxgfx

Author Topic: Medieval Illustration  (Read 11679 times)

Offline SharonBell

• Critter
  • Coroner
    • Sharon's Home Page
Re: Medieval Illustration
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2005, 11:01:54 AM »
Wine.  :grin:
"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

Offline PaulC44446

• Coffin Maker
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2005, 11:03:41 AM »
Nope. I used some traditional mediums.

PaulC44446

Offline Ed

• The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
  • Administrator
  • Coroner
  • Don't look behind you!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2005, 11:17:04 AM »
Good thread - I'm really enjoying this :dance:

Love the colours in the leaf painting.  Beautiful.  No idea how it was done, but I'll take a guess at pencils and chalks over a background colour?

I might well try to pick up some paints and a few brushes, someday.  But I'll have to wait until my house is finished - there's way too much stuff that I should and need to do before I indulge in another hobby :/
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline PaulC44446

• Coffin Maker
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2005, 11:25:52 AM »
I used 2 mediums that don't go together. I mixed water colors and oils.

I started out the same way with the gesso and pencil. I then had to get rid of the gesso to be able to use the water colors because the gesso would dissolve in the water. So I made copy of the drawing on a copy machine onto a heavy white card stock paper. I then did the entire painting in water colors. Once the painting dried I sprayed it with crystal clear. Lightly at first so as not to mess up the pigments in the water colors... then heavier as I went. Eventually it was so thick that if you held the painting on end that the clear would run off the paper. I then hit it with a hair dryer to quick dry the clear so it would stay as a thick surface on top of the water colors and not seep into them. I then covered the whole painting with a deep purple oil paint. I then lifted the oil paint off in to areas where I wanted the water colors to show through. More in some areas and less in others. There you have it. Now who said that water and oil don't mix? It's hard but if you do it right you can sometimes pull off a nice piece. Again, if you noticed... I worked with light. I tried to make it look like there was a light under the bottom backside of the leaf shining threw. Leafs are semi transparent.

PaulC44446

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2005, 01:08:33 PM »
Interesting. :huh:

One of the things I remember somebody moaning about was the art establishment's dislike of paintings done with acrylic paints.  Apparently purists argue that we don't know how long the paint will last, and it might degrade over the years, leading to a loss of art from this period for future collectors.  Do you think the same people would frown on a mix of mediums like oils and water based paints, or would they be ok with it because of them both being time tested mediums in their own right?  And... should anybody care what they think? :huh:

When we finally get this house straight, I'd like to go out and buy some original artworks from upcoming artists, put them up and enjoy them, and I don't think I'll be worrying about what they'll look like in five hundred years time :scratch:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

Offline PaulC44446

• Coffin Maker
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2005, 01:30:45 PM »
Honesty, I don't put much stock into what they think. If they're really worried about how long the art from this period will last... all they have to do is keep the computers running. Most of all the art now days is done on a computer. The days of artwork by hand has come and gone for the most part. This makes the artwork that I do a rarity. When computers first came out I jumped on board just like the rest of them. But as more and more people did this I seemed to drift back to the older traditional style. Always trying to stay different. Now don't get me wrong. I'm very talented in photoshop and various other art programs like 3d studio (used to make the terminator and other movie specila effects) Poser, Bryce etc. I just don't use them very much if at all anymore.

PaulC44446

Offline chris_bartholomew

• Stiff
    • Static Movement
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2005, 07:57:56 AM »
These illustrations are for the ezine Static Movement opening in Jan.  Gee, I do hope after seeing all of the illustrations you will come see the zine.  Paul is on staff there, don't know why he didn't mention it, but I am sure it was just an oversight...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 08:37:24 AM by chris_bartholomew »

Offline Ed

• Administrator
  • Coroner
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2005, 01:52:18 PM »
Paul is on staff there, don't know why he didn't mention it, but I am sure it was just an oversight...

I think you've more than made up for it today  :huh:

Offline canadian

• Coroner
  • amphibian
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2005, 02:22:39 PM »
Paul, that is one heck of a piece of art. Loved the discussion about how ya birthed it, too.

Do you mind if I send it to a close friend of mine? See, I call him WelshKnight and we're both into the King Arthur legend and I'm hoping to move to England to be with him and ... well, it's just such a perfect picture for the two of us!
If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin

Cafe Doom  |  The Dark Arts  |  Dark Art Images  |  Medieval Illustration

gfxgfx
gfx
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines Page created in 0.116 seconds with 24 queries.
Helios Multi © Bloc
gfx