gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55850 Posts in 6180 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 December 17, 2017, 08:25:26 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Banned from BC  (Read 17033 times)
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2006, 01:23:52 PM »

I think that pretty much sums it up.  You've been allowed to have your say and, as per usual, it appears to be mostly about yourself and your awards, Ronald.

Feel free to look down on us all from your lofty perch of literary achievement - try to be an owl instead of a seagull, and we'll do our best to ignore you, if you'll afford us the same courtesy afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Alex Keegan
Stiff

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2006, 04:00:50 PM »

I am not "trolling" Ed, you "trolled" when you named the thread (with a lie)

There was a full month of misrepresentation and lies before I entered this thread (january 26th)

Post 1 in this thread Dec 26th

Ed Blunt said he had been banned from BC. That was a lie.

He also said a second lie-by-inference: "I wonder if he deleted it, or maybe just cleaned it up and put an AK spin on it, making himself look like the injured party."

Post 2 Doolos made a totally unsubstantiated false remark: Apart from the bit on East of the Web when he edited an opening post in a huge thread to prove that he was right, and everyone else was wrong.

Post 3 Ed is again abusive. He said: The truth, to him, seems to have the same effect as sunlight on vampires. ie: he calls me a liar.

Post 4 Dools says: the misery that is Boot Camp.

Post 5. Geoff speaks fairly

Post 7 (Dec 27) Walker I wouldn't cross the street to piss on him if he was on fire

Post 8 Blunt agrees with walker and says: There's no doubt that he knows a lot about literary fiction, but, to my mind, knowledge does not a teacher make.  It's a shame he can't impart that knowledge with a little respect for his students.

Post 9. Missy speaks fairly

I came into the thread a full MONTH after it was started

Coming in to a thread after SEVEN hostile posts, in a thread built on a direct lie, is "trolling"

Later Vivacious repeats the lie that I edit other people's posts.

"Now why on earth would I browse a forum in which you've edited your own and others posts to help your arguments?? What would I learn there except more of you pompous drivel?"

On ezboards any edits are clearly marked. You can't do them secretly. The accusation or consolidation of bollocks written earlier is typical of "unthinking" threads.

Than Sharon decides to create another myth, namely that I insist the BC way is the only way.
DESPITE THE FACT THAT SHE NOR ANYONE ELSE CAN PRODUCE ONE QUOTE IN THIRTEEN YEARS TO SUBSTANTIATE THE ACCUSATION.
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2006, 04:07:47 PM »

Make the most of your posting ability, Ronald - you will be leaving very soon. 

Call it what you like - access revoked/banned - semantics.

You are not welcome here.

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Ed
Administrator

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2006, 07:10:03 PM »

Right – as of now, Alex Keegan is banned from this forum. 

He has been allowed to say his piece, in his usual fashion, and now I am going to say mine.  Unlike on every other occasion I can think of, mine will be the last word on this argument (on this thread at least).  Because I’m going to lock the thread.

Firstly, my access to BC was suddenly cut, during a heated debate.  The only part I could see into, or post in, was the part where new people ask for access.  I see that as me being banned.  Semantics?  Call it how you see it.

Secondly, if Doolols says he saw you edit your post in a thread to make yourself look right – I believe him.  I’ve heard the same thing from several people, which, after seeing your general behaviour – your apparent need to always be seen to be right – I can certainly believe.  I have seen you bait people, under your own user name, on EotW, and then go back over the thread to delete your worst insults - sanitise the thread.  I’ve also seen you do the same on your own forum.  I can’t prove it, so all of what I’ve just said must fall into doubt – my word against yours.

Coming in to a thread after SEVEN hostile posts, in a thread built on a direct lie, is "trolling"

No, ‘trolling’ is what you appear to be doing on EotW.  No doubt you’ll deny it’s you, but every time anybody dares to try and discuss an opposing view to anything that you have an opinion on, a new user pops up, asking how many awards, prizes, blah, blah, blah – the same old rhetoric you’ve posted here.

Blunt agrees with walker and says: There's no doubt that he knows a lot about literary fiction, but, to my mind, knowledge does not a teacher make.  It's a shame he can't impart that knowledge with a little respect for his students.

From what I’ve seen, you treat practically everybody with contempt.  Not least of all, your top student – Alexandra Fox.  Earlier in this thread, you tell us how you made her cry.  You, by your own admission, have made her cry on many occasions, telling her, what – that she’s stupid, that her writing is totally left-brained crap?  I think I remember those two, as well as many other insults about her writing.

Is that the marque of a good teacher?

Over the whole of my experience in learning, I have never seen any teacher make a student cry like that.  EVER.  Let alone brag about it like it’s a valid practice – she edited it and it won a competition.  At what price to her dignity?

On EotW, I see a thread where Zoe King says she hit a point where she could not write a story for eighteen months - http://www.eastoftheweb.com/uncut/node/view/27428#comment  about the eighth post down.  Is she talking about you?  Because Vanessa said something similar, too.  My creative energy dried up in Bootcamp, because I felt utterly inhibited, frustrated, hopeless, and it seems like it happens to a lot of your students – Lexie being one of them.

Well, hang on a minute – is that the marque of a good teacher?

I don’t think it is.

Knowledge alone, does not a teacher make – my opinion.  If you cannot impart your knowledge without making people feel worthless, useless, stupid, confused, frustrated, or reducing them to tears, I don’t think you have the right teaching skills to do the job.  I believe YOU  are more damaging to beginning and intermediate writers than any peer group, critique circle, or whatever, even if it’s run by a monkey like me. 

That’s my opinion, but it seems to be shared by a great number of people.

Add to this that BC does not have any kind of discernable curriculum – structured learning (not that I could see, anyway).  It’s an open-ended deal, where people regularly pay you money to learn how to write.  I see that system as being inherently open to abuse.

The BC way works! 

I’ve seen it a hundred times.  I’m sure the multiple successes attract the right kind of writers to keep it going, too.  But it begs the question – would these same writers have had some success on their own anyway?  I think they would.  Maybe not as much as when they’re pushed to sub constantly, but I’m sure most would.

Now that I’m free of the place, and what I see as your tyrannical reign, I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off me.  I’m enjoying my writing again.  Maybe my writing is crap – I’ll let others judge.  The main thing to me is getting back to the enjoyment of it.

Finally:
As I said before – I am not free of guilt.  I am ashamed to say I took on some of the ideology, for a while.  I wrote some harsh critiques.  I wish I could take it back, but I can’t – all I can do now is regret, and try to make sure I don’t do it again. 

Maybe you should take a step back and take a look at yourself and your practices, too?  And that’s not intended as an insult.

Now, let this be an end to it. 

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx