Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trouble Finishing a Story?  (Read 10219 times)
Geoff_N
Critter
Coroner

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2006, 06:31:12 PM »

Fair enough, you found an emotional connection and meanings leapt at you that skipped by me! And that scene does resonate with experienced observation and feeling. I'll send you my review but it might be tainted by my irritation as a scientist who loves the time-travel genre, particularly discussions of the embedded paradoxes, which this book cheatingly sidesteps.

Geoff

Missy
Grave Digger

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2006, 07:13:40 PM »

I loved TTW. I only picked it up by chance in Asda as it's not the kind of thing I usually like. I enjoyed every word. I think I may have read it again as I read it so quickly the first time I think I missed stuff. I wish I'd written it too. Plot wise it is awesome. How she managed to keep hold of that amazes me. And I always like books with references to music, especially punk, so it was doubly enjoyable for me. Great book. I recommended it to a male friend and he enjoyed it and said he cried a couple of times. I would have called him a poof but he was reading it whilst running on one of those machine things in the gym so that cancelled out the wussiness.
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator
Coroner

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2006, 07:55:42 PM »

Wrestling a crocodile whilst reading the book and crying would have cancelled out the wussiness, but not jogging on a treadmill fugly  Not around here, anyway afro

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Geoff_N
Critter
Coroner

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2006, 09:40:31 AM »

I cried reading TTW too, but out of frustration and annoyance. Plot wise it was pinched from a Twilight Zone episode,  is remarkably similar to a Quantum Leap episode and stories by Heinlein and Moorcock. That doesn't bother me, they explored the paradoxes better. It must be me, I'm getting ornery...

canadian
Coroner

amphibian

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2006, 10:43:02 AM »

We're different kinds of readers, Geoff, obviously. I enjoyed this novel as a love story. The time travel device was merely that, a tool. I didn't spend much time pondering how 'real' it was. It gave a richness to the tale and didn't detract from it, IMO.

Themewise, it reminds me a lot of "The Princess Bride" by William Goldman.

If people stand in a circle long enough, they will eventually begin to dance. -- George Carlin
Missy
Grave Digger

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2006, 12:20:49 PM »

I think I read it as a love story too, donna. That was what made me buy it in the first place. Although I have to admit getting taken over by the time travel thing as it went on. It gripped me.
I suppose we all like to read different things. I have to say I've never read a sci-fi book of any description, not my thing at all.
Geoff_N
Critter
Coroner

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2006, 01:01:54 PM »

I've never read a sci-fi book of any description, not my thing at all.

It is now, Missy smiley  Any book that uses time travel is science fiction - indeed it is science fantasy, even if TTW is really a love story with TT as a device.

It is science fiction that grabs you, takes you out of the normality of ordinary life, and allows your imagination to soar.

Geoff 

Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator
Coroner

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2006, 01:54:27 PM »

My wife used to turn back in the book quite often, saying, "That can't be right!", thinking there was a plot hole.  I saw and heard her do it a few times, but she said she never actually found an instance where the timeline was wrong.  I got the impression it was confusing at times, though.  Will have to read it for myself, I think scratch

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Print

Jump to: