gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge afro - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

gfx gfx
gfx
55884 Posts in 6181 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 January 29, 2020, 05:04:30 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The gentle art of critiquing  (Read 4194 times)
GrinReaper
Mortician

« on: November 13, 2004, 03:40:55 AM »

What level of critiquing are people looking for when they post stories here? And what are you hoping to achieve from your writing?

Personally, I'm trying to get stories published in magazines, so I don't mind harsh criticism of the stuff I post here, as long as it is constructive. (Generally, the stories I post in the forum will be early drafts, so they probably deserve harsh criticism!)

Specifically, it would be good if you could let me know about any plot holes in my stories, rather than typos and grammar stuff (which I generally fix up at a later stage).

What about everyone else?
Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 05:38:07 AM »

I'm interested in anything people have to say about what I've written, as long as it's honest smiley

I might not agree with what somebody has to say, but it's still good to get another perspective, and sometimes you can come around to somebody else's POV and see things in a completely different light.  I think you've always got to take comments with a pinch of salt though, because your critics are often (without realising it) trying to get you to write like they do, which might not be what you want to do. 

People pointing out typos and grammar/spelling errors is fine with me - I recently noticed that one of my stories that has been read hundreds of times and even professionally proof read twice, has a spelling mistake in it, previously unnoticed by all and sundry.  It was about to go to print with the mistake in place scratch

What I'm hoping to achieve from my writing is an outlet for all the stuff buzzing around in my head.  If I can inspire somebody, make them laugh, or feel any kind of emotion from a story I've written then that's great. 2thumbs  The holy grail of being a Pullitzer or Nobel prize-winning author is a way off, I think, but reaching a mass audience in print would be nice smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
Sunny
Misplaced Hyperbollic Expression
Grave Digger

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 07:43:58 AM »

Good question Grin.

I am not really looking for a serious critique as of yet on anything I have posted thus far. Generally I write like blunt, to just get stuff out of my mind an onto paper. Someday I would like to publish chrildrens stories, though not serious Wizard of Oz or Harry Potter type books, I like writing for much younger children.

I am working on a novel, and as I write it I plan to post it in chapters, I think I would much appreciate a good dose of constructive criticism, well CC is good for anything really, but I have never seriously attempted a novel so I will need serious help with that one.

I think most of the stuff I write, outside of poetry to release my inner-demons, is to shed a form of inspiration or a different perspective for people. I really enjoy expressing thoughts and love writing articles. The articles that I will eventually post here, I definetly could use some CC on.

You are what you eat!
Neuromancer
Indefatigable Misanthrope
Mortician

Semper Veritas

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 09:19:14 AM »

I really dont care if people are harsh with my tales... I will get my revenge MWAHAHA

I am not really good with fancy words, and critiques, but I will say what I like and whether or not it is well written.  As most stuff is here.

tongue

Yes I am a writer, but my critics call me a typist.--Salem's Lot
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx