gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Anybody interested in joining a behind the scenes critique group, please PM Ed smiley

gfx gfx
gfx
55868 Posts in 6181 Topics by 556 Members - Latest Member: wallynicholson666 April 18, 2019, 10:54:39 PM
gfx* HomeForumHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Conjure: Australian Science Fiction Convention  (Read 2263 times)
GrinReaper
Mortician

« on: April 17, 2006, 03:23:16 AM »

I have just finished four totally exhausting days blogging Conjure, the National Science Fiction Convention. There's profiles of Cory Doctorow, Bruce Sterling and others, audio of their speeches, writing tips, advice for editors .... hell, there's even Stormtroopers!

http://abc.net.au/news/arts/articulate

check it out. If you like it, tell your friends. If you don't, tell me! If you love it, tell my boss via the Email Articulate form on the rhs of the page so that I'll get sent on more of these things!!
SharonBell
Critter

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 06:26:46 AM »

Whew! Nice work, Gary! Did you get any sleep?? Looks like a great conference.  afro

"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com
Geoff_N
Critter

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 08:35:08 AM »

Neatly done, Gary!  I've bookmarked some useful links from there - thanks.

I particularly liked the quote from successful writer Anita Bell

'And she says she started collecting rejections.

"I aimed for getting 12 rejections per story, because I figure if you start to aim for the rejects it takes the misery away from it."'

An excellent attitude, though I think rejection letters are a distant memory for her!

And good for writer David B Coe to advise against writing non-stop action in fiction - and allow the reader some breathing space to consolidate characterization.

It's also interesting that this Australian Con has much the same discussion topics as the WorldCon in Glasgow and the British SF and British Fantasy Society Cons I pop along to. In particular I was amused at Cory Doctorow's urging writers to release their work for free web download. Charles Stross said the same thing in 2005 and you can have his Accelerando for free pdf and MS reader online from his website. But it seems to me that this only works if a) like those two you are already famous and can afford to give your work away, or b) you are not famous and cannot get sufficient interest anyway!

Now I have hours of bookmarked links to read -- thanks again, Gary.

Geoff

Ed
The Mastah, muahahaaaa....
Administrator

Don't look behind you!!!!!

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 10:11:35 AM »

You have been busy, haven't you?  Good work, Gary smiley

Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]
GrinReaper
Mortician

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 09:23:48 PM »

Thanks guys. Sharon - I did get a bit of sleep although I think I mention somewhere in the blog that at one point I was so exhausted I couldn't figure out how to switch off caps lock!

Geoff_N - regarding giving your books away for free, I think you're right. I think you need a certain fan base before you'll reach critical mass using that strategy. I mean, I don't think it would do me any harm but, on the other hand, I don't exactly imagine many people downloading my books (other than you guys, of course!)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx