News:

Got a few minutes to kill? Try the Doom Flash Challenge :afro: - http://www.cafedoom.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html

Main Menu

Old Horror Movies

Started by SharonBell, March 06, 2006, 03:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SharonBell

I hate to exercise, so the only way I can trick myself to get on and stay on the treadmill is to watch movies. This past month, I've started pulling out the old horror classics: The Bad Seed (1956), Dracula (1931), and now, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1933).  If you haven't seen these movies (the original black and white ones), I highly recommend that you watch them.

They are story telling classics. Dracula has the now famous line (I had no idea it was from this movie): "He's crazy. They're all crazy. The only ones here that ain't crazy are you and me--and sometimes I wonder about you!"

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde starts with the first person POV, with the camera being Fredric March's eyes. You don't see him until he looks in the mirror. Very innovative for 1933! Also, lots of lust, love, and legs. There's that romance/horror connection!
"Be good and you'll be lonesome." Mark Twain

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

Ed

I used to love old horror flicks when I was a kid :afro:  Never see them available anywhere now :scratch:  Was that the old Bella Lugosi Dracula you watched, Sharon?  Classic stuff. :smiley:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

SharonBell

Yes, exactly that one. Hard to believe he was a heroin addict the whole time. Ed Wood re-discovered him for all his far-out, so-bad-they're-good movies. Have you seen them? Un-f-ing-believable!

We have a huge video collection--VHS, b/c we used to live in a town w/o cable and our kid was out of school with asthma so much, we had to have something to entertain him. It grew and grew. I keep re-discovering classics in it. Treasures and trash!

www.sharonbuchbinder.com

Ed

He was a heroin addict, was he?  I didn't know that :scratch:  He was doing it way before it became popular then :grin:  Mind you, I know a couple of smackheads and, apart from their sickly sweet scent, you wouldn't know they had a problem.

I don't remember seeing any Ed Wood films, but I might have without realising it :afro:
Planning is an unnatural process - it is much more fun to do something.  The nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry and depression. [Sir John Harvey-Jones]

SharonBell

Johnny Depp played Ed Wood (in the movie, Ed Wood) and Martin Landau played Bela Lugosi. But, if you have the inclination to watch bad, old sf and horror films, Plan 9 from Outer Space is one to watch. And, Ed Wood was a transvestite. His movie re-releases, including Glen and Glenda, came out in a pink angora box, b/c he kept borrowing his wife's sweater, without her knowing it.  All very odd, and best served with a helping of liquor on board!

www.sharonbuchbinder.com